Piémontais ?

Couteaux pliants de tous genres et de toutes tailles

Piémontais ?

Messagepar jebstuart » 15 Déc 2008 11:02

J 'ai eu ceci pour pas cher et c 'est mon premier avec ce système.

Voilà les détails

A Brief History

Bryan Baker, Master Cutler started his knife making business from necessity in 1983. A chance meeting with an elderly Czechoslovak knife maker gave Bryan Baker's business a real boost for this master craftsman was able to pass on to Baker many cutlers secrets and knife know-how.
Especially important was the unique hardening and tempering process which gave Bryan Baker's knives a special edge of strength and durability.

Today, every SVORD Knife is treated and tempered on the premises. The combination of quality Swedish cutlery steel and Baker's process for heat treating and tempering produces a truly superb blade.

SVORD Knives even attracted attention from the prestigious "American Fighting Knives" publication who rated their durability and edge holding quality as "outstanding".

SVORD Knives are 100% NZ handcrafted from innovative designs by Bryan Baker, Master Cutler.

Adapted for SVORD Web from an excerpt of BLADE magazine.

Svord Peasant Knife

Bryan Baker stresses the importance of correct aerodynamics in regard to edge shape and high carbon steel correctly heat treated. These are principals taught him by his mentor, Bohemil Nebesky. Baker combines these principals to make high performance knives. Like the name implies, Peasant ™ Knives are tools for a low price - no frills or bells.
Bryan pays a lot of attention to the heat treating of his steel. He has boxes of broken blades from his own testing. Not only will his blades pass the 90° flex test, they will also cut 1/4-inch soft steel bolts with no edge damage. Legendary makers Frank Richtig, Rudy Ruana and Bill Scagel also cut steel with their blades and Baker's Peasant Knife blades are only 1/16 inch thick!

The Peasant Knife will cut 1/4-Inch soft steel bolts with no edge damage.

The Test
First I pounded the Peasant Knife blade through ¼ inch soft galvanized bolts (not high tensile). There was no damage to the edge or back of the blade. This shows the toughness that can be achieved using excellent tempering procedures. Baker gave the go ahead to flex the Peasant Knife 90°. I easily disassembled the knife and went to the vise. (Author's note: This is a destructive test.)

Baker's friction folder is 8 1/4 inches long in the open position.

The Peasant Knife flexed 90° with no edge cracking as per the American Bladesmith Society journeyman smith test. It also survived a 90° bend in the opposite direction, still with no edge cracking. Excellent toughness! Upon restraightening the blade snapped, but the toughness was impressive.

Baker provided another knife for the cutting evaluation. I sharpened the edge with a worn 400-grit belt and stropped it with jeweler's rouge on leather. Even though this produced a hair-popping edge, it only lasted four cuts on 3/4 inch manila rope.

I switched to a new 320 belt. This produced seven cuts. Still not satisfied, I used a worn 150-grit belt. Bingo! This produced the best working edge. After 30 cuts, I had to put on gloves because the locking hump was digging into my palm. The Peasant Knife cut a total of 50 times! The edge would still cut hair. (Authors note: This working edge is also obtainable by using an India stone.)

Overall

Baker's knives sharpen extremely quick. Edge holding is in the upper 10 percent of the knives I've tested. In a Baker knife you get an excellent piece for a good price.

Jeb
jebstuart
Seax intentions

Re: Piémontais ?

Messagepar oufti » 15 Déc 2008 11:14

jebstuart a écrit:Baker provided another knife for the cutting evaluation. I sharpened the edge with a worn 400-grit belt and stropped it with jeweler's rouge on leather. Even though this produced a hair-popping edge, it only lasted four cuts on 3/4 inch manila rope.

I switched to a new 320 belt. This produced seven cuts. Still not satisfied, I used a worn 150-grit belt. Bingo! This produced the best working edge.

Logique, il a réussi à en faire une scie piémontaise.
Échange Renault Twingo 16V de 2002 contre 4L.
Sturgeon's Law: "Ninety percent of everything is crap".
oufti
REVIENS!!

Messagepar Lolo94 » 15 Déc 2008 12:09

Acier carbone suédois, forme classique, finition basique, prix modèré. Affûtage grossier si on veut juste que ça coupe sans se poser de questions... C'est rustique au bon sens du terme, comme les Néozélandais quoi?
J'ai vu sur leur site qu'il viennent de passer au 12C27 pour les couteaux de cuisine... No comment. ;)

Je trouve que ça à l'air symp (si on fait abstraction du côté baratin... ) . Tu nous diras ce que ça vaut à l'usage. :D
Bricolages: Les Opi en Or http://forum.neoczen.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29523
Dessins: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17447
Je suis toujours CHARLIE
Lolo94
Cachan ce sein que je ne saurais voir

Messagepar jebstuart » 15 Déc 2008 12:33

Yes sir.

Jeb
jebstuart
Seax intentions

Messagepar tétocarré » 15 Déc 2008 13:31

il est assez moche.
tétocarré

Messagepar jlg » 15 Déc 2008 14:30

Je vois souvent de très beau piémontais présentés ici, ce couteau gagnerait à être à lame fixe car fermé, je ne le trouve pas très esthétique, mais c'est juste mon avis
jlg

Messagepar Lolo94 » 15 Déc 2008 14:43

En effet, c'est clairement pas un "très beau piémontais", il est baptisé "couteau de paysan", et vu le prix, joue plutôt dans la cour du roi Opinel, mais ils ne sont pas bien nombreux dans cette catégorie. Il ganerait sûrement à être un peu poncé/customisé par son propriétaire pour effacer le côté industriel du manche. ;)
Bricolages: Les Opi en Or http://forum.neoczen.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29523
Dessins: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17447
Je suis toujours CHARLIE
Lolo94
Cachan ce sein que je ne saurais voir

Messagepar CASH » 15 Déc 2008 14:51

Je plussoie Lolo! Il y a surement moyen de se défaire de l'aspect mécanique de la fabrication!
CASH
Baywatch

Retour vers Couteaux pliants