Help with knife steel composition chart

Help with knife steel composition chart

Messagepar Gator97 » 09 Juin 2010 21:52

Hi All,

My apologies for English post, I do not speak French, and I don't know anyone around who can do translation.
I'm developing/maintaining the knife steel composition chart here - http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelchart.php , with the help of other knife guys of course, lots of data came from them. I think some of you might've used it already.
I came here, because I'm looking for help with French standard steel names and also trying to find French steel manufacturers to look up more steels.

1) AFNOR names are not always available on foreign(non French) websites listing steel data and often they are inconsistent. E.g. I've seen Z130WKCDV-10-10-04-04-03 and 10-10-04-04-03 listed as the name of the same steel on different sites. Are they really the same? Is later wrong?
To view the steel chart in AFNOR naming, click the search button and then select AFNOR in Name Column. If the chart has AFNOR name(s) for the alloy it(they) will be displayed first, and then in () the name of composition, if there is no AFNOR name - is displayed followed by composition name.
If you guys can please help with missing French names and with correction of the invalid ones if I have those.
Any sources with steel naming crossreferences will be also highly appreciated.

2) I found only one French steel maker website so far in my research - Erasteel. They do produce lots of high speed and other exotic steels. Also I have data for Bonpertuis cutlery alloys and one alloy from Aubert & Duval, but no websites for later two. If there are any other significant manufacturers of knife and tool steels, even if their sites are in French I'd appreciate links. it's easier to translate/study steel tables than to search for websites with translated terms which often come out really wrong, since the terminology is knife specific and translators have no idea about that.

Any help is highly appreciated.

P.S. If I posted in wrong forum, mods, please move to the right place.
Gator97

Re: Help with knife steel composition chart

Messagepar tobob » 09 Juin 2010 21:55

Ben, il est où Olmo pour lui répondre ?
tobob
Khagnes, cyclokhagnes

Messagepar stancaiman » 09 Juin 2010 22:00

totob, carnet

this post has been moved in technical space
:o:рганизация
stancaiman
Quantum of Solex

Messagepar tobob » 09 Juin 2010 22:01

:sifflote:
tobob
Khagnes, cyclokhagnes

Messagepar Lolo94 » 10 Juin 2010 00:44

Welcome!

Bonpertuis seems to be sold only through Eurotechni : http://www.eurotechni.fr/index.php
and websites are not their best point. ;)

On their older site you will find a chart with some cutlery steels names: http://eurotechni.chez-alice.fr/

Nice site you have! I spotted the japanese knives sections and will read with interest.
Bricolages: Les Opi en Or http://forum.neoczen.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29523
Dessins: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17447
Je suis toujours CHARLIE
Lolo94
Cachan ce sein que je ne saurais voir

Messagepar pwet » 10 Juin 2010 00:45

hi gator, nice to see you here.

stan t'as de la concurrence.
recherche : anciens spyderco military cpm440V SE ou PE, voire ats 34.

merci
pwet
Théoricien de lâme

Messagepar saul31 » 10 Juin 2010 04:44

Welcome and thanks for this chart.

A full page -without horizontal scrolling- version would be a good improvement IMHO.

Here you will find another French steel maker website : "Aciers du Tarn"

About your problem, you need to wait for DagueHaubert ; I'm switching the signal on.

saul31

Messagepar Gator97 » 10 Juin 2010 06:17

Thanks for the links guys, I'll go through them tonight and tomorrow, adding new names.

Hiya Pwet :) Good to see you again! If I knew you were hanging around here I'd ask you to post... Took me long time to find this place and register.

Saul - Do you mean full page without vertical scroll? I've started out like that, but withing first 3 days I got so many requests to make the table scrollable that i've spent next 2 weeks developing the virtual table.
Anyway, if there are few votes to have full table I can definitely add that as a view option for the upcoming steelchart v 3.0.
Gator97

Messagepar saul31 » 10 Juin 2010 09:13

Nope, as I wrote, without horizontal scroll ; all elements visible in one sight.
saul31

Messagepar Lolo94 » 10 Juin 2010 09:44

Obviously, vertical scrolling can not be avoided (in frame or full page...). There is some horizontal scrolling too, due to screen or table width I don't know, but that can be solved individually by turning off some columns. Interactivity is wonderful.

I love the graph function. thup
Bricolages: Les Opi en Or http://forum.neoczen.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29523
Dessins: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17447
Je suis toujours CHARLIE
Lolo94
Cachan ce sein que je ne saurais voir

Messagepar Phare Aeon » 10 Juin 2010 15:14

Your steel chart is really a nice work and I'm sure many steel-geeks will spend a lot of their leisure-time* having fun playing with steel grades comparative graphs and other fancy figures … glossy nickel, mighty molybdenium, mysterious cobalt …
knife-geeks from all around the world are so greedy about such pretty-but-nonetheless-useless specs :)

Never mind, you are looking for european steels designations and compositions, I am right ?

then you may have to give a glance at the following link, provided by our member/hobbyist JPG :
http://ftpforge.chez-alice.fr/complete-steels.xls

* or working-time - but boys: that's bad, really ;)
Le monde où l'on pense n'est pas le monde où l'on vit - Gaston Bachelard
Phare Aeon
Flu

Messagepar Gator97 » 10 Juin 2010 18:52

Horizontal Scrolling - It mostly depends on the screen size. There are 20 columns to display and they somehow have to fit. Problem is different browsers respond differently to table column width setting attempts. I'll revise and try to make all that smaller, but then I risk making it all hard to read.
One thing I can do and plan on doing is to allow the user to save the list of the columns they want to see by default. So, if you don't care for maker and let's say P or S you can turn them off and click save settings. Although, that requires that you enable cookies for zknives.com

DagueHaubert - I guess the world is a small place :) I have that xls file, don't remember who gave it to me though. Thanks anyway.

BTW, if you guys have ideas/wishes on what can be improved for steel chart 3.0 now is a good time to tell me. I'm in the middle of planning/design.
Gator97

Messagepar pwet » 10 Juin 2010 21:26

off topic, any news from rottman ?

i made him contact achimW for testing his aritsugu's steel, havent been much on KF/FF these days i don't know if the test result came up.

merci
pwet
Théoricien de lâme

Messagepar Gator97 » 11 Juin 2010 02:33

Sorry, no. Last time I checked with him end of Apr. There was another delay from the tester side. Hopefully sometime in Jun we'll solve Gokinko mystery
Gator97

Messagepar pwet » 11 Juin 2010 03:52

yep, still have to get one. it's been out of my radar for a while but now i just remembered i need one to train with my belt grinder. no way i break this one in by hand. i'm done with ours of grinding …

merci
pwet
Théoricien de lâme

Suivant

Retour vers Divers